Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Olympics Update #3

Dear Friends & Family,

Ok, more news from the Olympics....... There was some of the GB team on my flight to Beijing, and more in the Olympic Village. But most are still in Macau doing pre-training.

They have a whole building here, waiting for them to arrive, four sections long and 9 floors high, someone has hung big GB banners on very balcony, looks great. Our team has two apartments on the 7 floor, and one on the 6th, of another building, as our team is tiny, just 8 athletes. We also have Sri Lanka flags on every balcony, but that's only about 7 rooms, the Brits have 76 rooms..........

The village seems to grow by the hour, as more teams arrive and start to settle in, I meet the Guam, Chef de Mission and their Judo athlete in the main dinning hall lunch time. Chatted with a head coach from Australia, this really is the place to be.... I wish I could bring you all in for a look around, but at least I will try to share the excitement as I see it happen.

On Thursday evening I have been invited by the Sri Lankan Ambassador in Beijing to join the rest of our Olympic team at a reception inside the Beijing Sri Lankan Embassy. The countries National President will be there too, he fly's in tomorrow, and is due to visit our Team in the OV at 6pm... , then he stays for Opening night celebrations in the Birdsnest on Friday, before heading home on Sat.

At 3pm today, I head off to the athletic trains ground with one of our team, she is a Javelin thrower, so needs to practice. That should be fun.

Take care, looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks, must dash duty calls....

fond regards,
David

3 comments:

Dean and Mary said...

Valerie,
Dean and I have thouroughly enjoyed reading David's letters. Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to read more.
Mary

Kbear and Jman said...

OH OH OH!!!! Keep posting keep posting.

Kara

Laci Strickland said...

Same here! How exciting! Keep them coming! I miss David and Lourdes very much- he is such a great story teller in the way he writes- I loved it!!